Since Five Across got acquired by Cisco, there has been good interest in building social communities.
There are several vendors that will offer build your own community hosted services. Here are a few providers.
1. Going On: “Organizations of all sizes can use GoingOn to build interactive
communities around their most important initiatives and benefit from
the open and compatible “network of networks” environment.”
2. iUpload: “iUpload is a leading content management and corporate blogging software
company whose solutions help organizations optimize the marketing
potential of their content. Whether you’re an individual, a corporation
or a community, iUpload provides a powerful one-stop solution for
creating, managing and distributing all of your content, while giving
you a new social marketing platform that extends your corporate voice
and strengthens your brand across multiple communities.”
3. Pluck: Pluck provides Social Media solutions for publishers, broadcasters and major brands.
4. CrowdFactory: To help companies leverage the new medium, we have developed a social
media platform and toolset to power white-label social network
5. KickApps: KickApps is a hosted platform that allows webmasters to quickly
and easily deploy user-generated content and social networking
functionality directly on their websites.
6. People Aggregator: PeopleAggregator is a social network and blogging system in a box.
You can create a hosted network or download and run it yourself. You
can control who is in your network, what content it displays and what
its rules are.