Imagine a car that gives 65 miles a gallon. Its made by Ford! Why cant you buy it in the US? Businessweek has a host of good reasons (below).
1. People’ perception that diesel is awful.
2. Taxes aimed at commercial trucks mean diesel costs anywhere from 40 cents to $1 more per gallon than gasoline.
3. The engines are built in Britain, so labor costs are high.
4. The pound remains stronger than the greenback. At prevailing
exchange rates, the Fiesta ECOnetic would sell for about $25,700 in the
U.S. By contrast, the Prius typically goes for about $24,000.
5. No tax breaks for diesel vs. hybrid
6. Ford plans to make a gas-powered version of the Fiesta in Mexico for
the U.S. So why not manufacture diesel engines there, too? Building a
plant would cost at least $350 million.
7. The automaker would have to produce at least 350,000 engines a year to make such a venture profitable.