Lets play Venture Capitalist for a day shall we?
Assuming a 5 year investment horizon starting in 2013 in 50 startups and a total of $50 million, what areas (technology categories) would you put money in to get the best return by 2018?
1. You have to put the same amount of money in each company and it cannot exceed $1 Million.
2. You have to put all the money in technology companies alone.
3. You can get “exits” before 2022, but your entire portfolio will be liquidated on Dec 2022 (10 year fund).
A partial list of categories for you to consider. You can put 100% in one or spread them around, or ignore a few categories as you wish.
1. Consumer Internet
2. Mobile applications
3. SaaS applications
4. Cloud infrastructure software
8. 3D printing
9. Social Networking
10. Storage software
11. Networking (like Cisco, Juniper, etc.)
12. Data Center technology
13. Education technology
14. Healthcare technology
15. Big data
Any other category I missed.
Why I am putting this together?
I will be putting together our investment thesis and our mix of companies so I’d love to crowd source some of the thinking behind startup investing.
If you think its better to do a form or a survey type web page, let me know, else just give me your spread and mix in the comments.