As part of the culture and values post I looked at what were the values & culture statements of the top technology companies. From Amazon to Zynga, the key things that they believe makes their company unique and successful. Some observations:
1. The older the company is the more “traditional” its values are, like integrity, customer focus, etc.
2. If you had to allocate a % to the categories of values, hiring people features in almost all of them.
3. Customer (or User) features next in 70% of them.
4. Innovation (or the commitment to it) features in less than 50%.
5. Interestingly only Apple talks about products.
1) Focus on the user and all else will follow.
2) It’s best to do one thing really, really well.
3) Fast is better than slow.
4) Democracy on the web works.
5) You don’t need to be at your desk to need an answer.
6) You can make money without doing evil.
7) There’s always more information out there
8) The need for information crosses all borders
9) You can be serious without a suit
10) Great just isn’t good enough.
1) We believe that we’re on the face of the Earth to make great products.
2) We believe in the simple, not the complex.
3) We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the products we make.
4) We participate only in markets where we can make a significant contribution.
5) We believe in saying no to thousands of projects so that we can really focus on the few that are truly important and meaningful to us.
6) We believe in deep collaboration and cross-pollination of our groups, which allow us to innovate in a way that others cannot.
7) We don’t settle for anything less than excellence in every group in the company, and we have the self-honesty to admit when we’re wrong and the courage to change.
1) Focus on Impact
2) Move Fast
3) Be Bold
4) Be Open
5) Build Social Value
1) Love to play
2) Level Up (Meritocracy)
3) Be CEO
4) Zynga Speed
5) Zynga first
1) Get Your Aspirations Right
2) Field Your Best Possible Team
3) Focus on Your Best Customer Segments
4) Create Your Competitive Advantage
5) Build Your Sales and Marketing Factory
1) Customer Obsession
3) Invent and Simplify
4) Are Right, A Lot
5) Hire and Develop the Best
6) Insist on the Highest Standards
7) Think Big
8) Bias for Action
10) Vocally Self Critical
11) Earn Trust of Others
12) Dive Deep
13) Have Backbone; Disagree and Commit
14) Deliver Results
4) Personal excellence
5) Constructive self-criticism
6) Continual self-improvement
7) Mutual respect
1) Dedication to every client’s success
2) Innovation that matters, for our company and for the world
3) Trust and personal responsibility in all relationships
1) Passion for customers
2) Trust and respect for individuals
3) Achievement and contribution
4) Results through teamwork
5) Speed and agility
6) Meaningful innovation
7) Uncompromising integrity
1) Deliver WOW Through Service
2) Embrace and Drive Change
3) Create Fun and A Little Weirdness
4) Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded
5) Pursue Growth and Learning
6) Build Open and Honest Relationships With Communication
7) Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit
8) Do More With Less
9) Be Passionate and Determined
10) Be Humble
1) Grow our business in a way that makes us proud.
2) Recognize that passion and personality matter.
3) Communicate fearlessly to build trust.
4) Defend and respect the user’s voice.
5) Reach every person on the planet.
6) Innovate through experimentation.
7) Seek diverse perspectives.
8) Be rigorous. Get it right.
10) ___ it.
1) Demand excellence
2) Take intelligent risks
3) Act like an owner
1) Passion for excellence
2) Enthusiasm and initiative
4) Focus on customer
5) Emphasis on Competence building
6) Cost consciousness
7) Team work
8) Integrity and loyalty
9) Organizational pride
10) Knowledge sharing
1) Customer focus
2) Corporate citizenship